Sex toys have been with us since the first days of humanity, but they never had this kind of status as they have nowadays. Several factors are responsible for this – from sexual revolutions in 1960s and 70s to the rise of feminism, and toys for adult entertainment can now be purchased in big supermarkets as well, right next to every-day microwaves or TV sets. It is even estimated that there are more sex toys currently on the world then there are cars, and it is expected that in a few years sales of these products will also reach very high numbers that smartphones presently enjoy.
Bricks and mortar sex shops are still present worldwide and a lot of people still enjoy visiting them and checking out all of their products. However, a new generation of shops was born a few years back, and it is growing and developing enormously: online adult toy stores. With the rise of internet and availability of computer technologies more and more people are turning to this type of shopping (not just for sex toys) because it provides various benefits and has many advantages over the traditional walking-around-with-bags type.
Sex toys industry is huge, and some sources claim that even $15 billion is spent per year in United States on acquiring this type of products, and with the help of internet the market should only get bigger. We are now definitely witnessing the birth of sexshops2.0 and for a lot of people this is great news. But what is it that makes them so popular?
Buying something online is easier than in real life for several reasons, and they all apply to adult toys as well:
- convenience (nobody will see you, nobody will know; no need for big bags and walking around with fear or stigma),
- availability (no need for driving or flying to a different country; just a few clicks can get you the vibrator you desire, even if it is sold half way across the globe)
- price (since there is no paying for physical expenses like rent, electricity or even so many workers, the stores can go down on prices significantly).
There are several steps that any beginner has to go through when wanting to purchase a sex toy online:
- Decide what product you need (this also includes checking the materials from which the toy is made, since some of them can be dangerous and cause serious health problems. For example, PVC toys containing phthalates should be avoided as much as possible. Use silicon, metal or glass instead.)
- Choose your online store (there are thousands of them and selecting a safe and trustworthy website can be a little tricky. However, some shops have long history and tradition of online trading so try to pick those. Big-time names include Adam and Eve, Babeland, Agent Provocateur, Pure Romance, Liberator, Filthy Dirty, Ladygasm and many more.)
- Purchase your toy and ask for discreet shipping (unless you want your dildo arriving to your doorstep with giant letters and pictures on the side of the box)